Monday, October 20, 2008

Phuket?! I hardly know it!

Greetings Blogfans,

We've actually already left Phuket, but I thought of that title a week and a half ago and was determined to fit it in somehow. We've moved into the beach phase of our trip, as we flew to Phuket yesterday from Chiang Mai (where we were staying with the aforementioned miracle woman known as Mary...check out her blog to follow her great adventure). Stuart will have a different opinion of Chiang Mai than I did, as I was laid up with a pretty gnarly case of food poisoning while we were there (I'm fine now, thanks for asking). However, before I spent the next 36 hours wishing I was dead, we did all check out Tiger World, which is way cooler than Leech World, which we visited in Laos. Photos of us with tigers below:

Stu, Mary and Me with a big fella (has been declawed)...if we ever start a band, this is the album cover. Note that Stu is a little hesitant to actually touch the tiger.

I shelled out a few extra Baht to play with the one month old cubs. I'm going to use these photos mainly to get chicks.

This one was delicious. Overall, Tiger World was Grrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Stuart has kickass photos and videos from his and Mary's trip to the elephant park, but since I couldn't go I'm pretending it didn't happen.

Phuket is a tropical island in southern Thailand and is geared towards pasty white folks with a penchant for knock-off designer goods (ours aren't knock-offs, though, we've been assured that they're all real). A view of the warm waters of the Indian Ocean from our hotel is below.


This morning we boarded a boat to the island paradise of Ko Phi Phi, about a 90 minute trip from Phuket. This is where the movie The Beach was filmed...while I found the movie to be one of the worst movies of the past 300 years, the scenery was pretty so here we are. We just got in a few minutes ago, but so far it looks spectacular. It kind of has a Jurassic Park kind of feel to it, with lush jungles covering steep cliffs, and I keep expecting a pterodactyl to fly out of the trees at some point. Well, not really expecting it since dinosaurs are extinct, but you know what I mean. We'll follow up with pictures of this beautiful place (sans dinosarus...most likely) in the next couple of days.

Rock on.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I HATE you. Seriously. If I ever hear about how you played with baby tigers again, we won't be friends.

Nancy (Councilmember Floreen) said...

What a picture of you with the cub! Up it goes as my screensaver.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Koh Phi Phi is the best, was there last month and had a blast staid at p.p.casita Go out to longbeach, great beach

Johan

Lu said...

worth all the baht in the world. not to mention the babes you'll get for it...